CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

SAHM Journey

My journey as a stay at home mom has come to an end.

Let me start from the beginning.
When I was pregnant with Emersyn we had endless childcare conversations. I loved teaching Kindergarten but the negatives completely outweighed the positives. On a nightly basis I would bring home hours worth of work. Pay increases in Wake County are non-existent while child care costs continue to rise. I wanted to give 100% to both my job and family but I couldn't do both. My family is far more important to me and a priority. Financially to put 2 kids in daycare would cost us close to $2100, which is slightly more than what I was bringing home a month. So after months of weighing pros vs. Cons, we decided I'd stay at home. I was elated to have the opportunity to stay at home and raise my babies. A dream come true!!!!

Now keep in mind, we made this decision prior to finding out Emersyn needed surgery. Life throws curve balls when we least expect it. So as the medical bills pour in, and that is putting it lightly, we started to panic. Yes we have insurance BUT the surgery is still costing us thousands. So our only option was for me to get a job. My 5 month reign as a SAHM is over. For me this is heart wrenching. I love being at home with Dylan & Emersyn more than any job. But providing for them is essential.

With that being said, I took a job at Dylans daycare (Holly Springs Learning Center). He loves it there, the staff is friendly, and it seems
like a great place to work. The facility is 5 minutes from our house and I cut through a neighborhood to get there. As an employee I get a Tuition discount. It's a wonderful rate which means I will take home a pay check and medical bills will eventually be paid off. I'm working with the 3 1/2 year olds. It's a new age group for me but I'm up for the challenge.
Having Dylan & Emersyn in the same building is the next best thing to staying at home. While I'm not directly with them, I can see them and know they are okay.

Life throws curve balls sometimes and this is how we are handling it. Hopefully one day I will have another opportunity to stay at home. That is where my heart is.

As one door closes, another opens. I guess that's life right?




1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! I'm sorry about you having to go back to work, but proud of you for doing this for your family!! You really are a great mom! :)

    ReplyDelete